Australia Awards Scholarships are long-term awards that have been administered by the government – the arm of foreign affairs and trade. The scholarship awards are aimed at helping the under impoverished countries, particularly countries located in the Indo-Pacific region.
Therefore the Australian government thought it wise to help the undergraduates from these regions to further their education in Australia. In addition, the postgraduates are not left out. The Australian universities and technical institutions are open to receiving international students.
They aim to contribute to the development needs of Australia’s partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements. The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals to drive change and contribute to development in their own countries.
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program. However, this is specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training.
Applicants who want to accept an Australia Awards Scholarship will need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
Consequently, scholars are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the scholar incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship.
Any Australian University that is participating in the Australia Awards Scholarships.
Citizens of one of the participating countries in Asia, the Pacific, Africa, and the Middle East. See the complete list of participating countries.
Field of Study/Level of Study
Undergraduate or Postgraduate Programmes that are related to your country’s priority areas for development are listed on the participating country profiles.
Australia Awards are not available for training in areas related to flying aircraft, nuclear technology, or military training.
The scholarship benefits generally include: full tuition fees, return air travel, establishment allowance, contribution to living expenses (CLE), Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), Introductory Academic Program (IAP), Pre-course English (PCE) fees, etc. See the complete list of benefits on the official website.
The scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training.
There are a lot of Do’s and Don’ts if you are to land this award. Therefore, applicants should take note of the following:
- Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age on 1 February of the year of commencing the scholarship;
- Have to be a citizen of a participating country (as listed on the Australia Awards website) and be residing in and applying for the scholarship from their country of citizenship;
- Must not be a citizen of Australia, hold permanent residency in Australia, or be applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently;
- Should not be married to, engaged to, or a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any time during the application, selection, or mobilization phases (note: residents of Cook Islands, Niue, and Tokelau with New Zealand citizenship are eligible but must apply for a Student visa [subclass 500]);
- Applicant can not be a current serving military personnel.
Check the open and close dates for your country. Thereafter, select your country of citizenship/residency from the list of participating countries. Upon selection, look out for specific information on eligibility, priority areas, and how to apply. The deadline is extended to 31 May 2021.
However, it is important to read the how to apply page and visit the country-specific pages. Finally, visit the official website (link found below) for detailed and updated information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: APPLY HERE